Stitched Up are recruiting!
We’re looking for an Outreach Assistant to join our busy team.
What is Stitched Up?
Stitched Up is a not-for-profit Community Benefit Society (a type of co-operative) on a mission to inspire our local communities to take action on sustainable fashion. You can read more about us here.
Job title: Outreach Assistant
Location: Mainly located at Stitched Up, Unit 40, Stretford Mall, M32 9BB, with some home-based working and travel to other locations across Manchester for workshops and events. We are currently looking for a new permanent home so the main base HQ of Stitched Up is subject to change.
Hours: 21 hours per week.
For suitable candidates there will be opportunities to take on additional hours facilitating workshops and events.
Contract: This is a fixed-term post for six months, with a view to further extension and becoming a permanent position in the future. This is dependent on reaching certain targets during the first six months. We’d like to find someone who, in the longer term, is interested in taking an active role in the management of the organisation by becoming a Co-Director.
Working days: Flexible in response to both your availability and the needs of the organisation, but will include some evenings and weekends.
Pay: £12 per hour
Start date: asap – to be agreed with the successful applicant.
Our sustainable clothing hub in Stretford isn’t just a place where you can come & learn to sew, but also a cosy, fun space to meet new people and share skills and ideas. As well as sewing and upcycling workshops, we offer drop-in sessions, clothes swaps, social gatherings and educational events that provide an alternative to the chain stores and empty shops of your average British high street. In addition to the public programme run from our Stretford space, we run pop-up events across Greater Manchester including Clothes Swaps, talks and workshops.
We’re a close knit team who work together to manage the organisation as well as deliver our day-to-day activities. Our roles are challenging but also fun, varied and highly rewarding.
You will be responsible for documenting our work through photography and video, and sharing this with our community via social media, our blog and our monthly newsletter.
This will include capturing content to publicise our projects, workshops and courses, events like clothes swaps, talks and film screenings, campaigning activities, volunteer days and products on sale via our reclaimed textiles shop, as well as capturing behind-the-scenes content which shares our organisation’s mission and culture with our community. You’ll sometimes be in front of the camera as well as behind it, so we’re looking for someone who is comfortable with that.
To assist you in this work, you will use our style guide to help you create communications in the Stitched Up voice that we have developed over the years, which is fun and engaging but also serious about the issues that matter.
You will liaise with our Outreach Coordinator, Workshops Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator to ensure that all upcoming activities are communicated in a timely manner. This will be done both through weekly team meetings and on an ad hoc basis as required. You will also monitor outreach metrics against our targets, and report on these at our monthly reporting meetings.
As a co-operatively run organisation, we all share in the day-to-day tasks and the running of the orgnisation, so you will also be getting involved in other tasks and projects as the need arises.
This is an opportunity for a proactive, visually-oriented person with a love of sewing and sustainabile fashion who wants to channel their ideas and enthusiasm into a community-focused social enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Documenting workshops, events, activities and products through photography and video.
- Ensuring that the relevant consent is acquired for everyone included in photos and videos, and that consent forms are filed appropriately.
- Maintaining and updating our library of photo and video content.
- Creating and scheduling a variety of social media content for our Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Tiktok accounts. This will include graphics, photo-based posts, short form video and Live videos.
- Writing and sending out our monthly mailing list.
- Writing regular blog posts.
- Liaising with our Workshops Coordinator and our Outreach Coordinator to ensure appropriate planning and scheduling of communications content in line with the organisation’s priorities.
- Replying to email queries.
- Communicating with the management team about outreach priorities and scheduling.
Essential skills / qualities
- Photography/video capture and editing skills.
- Experience in the use of Instagram, Facebook, Tiktok and Twitter.
- Good standard of written English.
- Visually oriented with a high level of attention to detail.
- Passionate about sustainability.
- Adaptable, proactive, reliable and hardworking.
- Interest in co-operative working.
- Commitment to equal opportunities.
Desirable skills / qualities
- Knowledge of Photoshop and Indesign.
- Experience in use of WordPress.
- Experience of running a business, working as part of a small social enterprise or co-op.
- Knowledge of textiles and sewing terminology.
- Skills in garment making and other textile crafts besides sewing.
To apply please send a CV with a covering letter (one side of A4 max) outlining your suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is midnight on Sunday 2nd October, with interviews in the week begnning 3rd October.
We’ll contact everyone who applies, whether you’re invited to be interviewed or not, however due to the size of our organisation we aren’t able to provide feedback for every application.